What is Food Grade Silicone Sealant?
Have you ever encountered the term ‘food grade’ and wondered what it meant? Is it edible? No! Then, does it mean it’s safe enough to be near edible items? Absolutely. Food grade silicone sealant is specifically formulated to be safe for use in contact with food and beverages. They’re designed to meet strict regulatory standards and requirements for applications where there is a possibility of incidental contact with food, such as in food processing, packaging, and kitchen environments.
These silicone sealants are made from high-quality silicone materials that are non-toxic and do not contain any harmful substances that could leach into food. They’re free from chemicals like lead, PVC, phthalates, and other hazardous compounds, ensuring they do not contaminate food or compromise its safety. These sealants are characterized by their excellent temperature resistance, flexibility, and waterproof properties, making them ideal for use in environments with exposure to moisture, heat, and various cleaning agents.
So, are all silicone sealants food-grade?
No, not all silicone sealants are food-grade. As introduced above, food-grade sealants are non-toxic and free from harmful substances, ensuring food safety. Whereas, standard silicone sealants may not be suitable for food-related use, as they often contain additives or chemicals that pose contamination risks.
To avoid the risk of using non-food grade sealants where they’re not suited and jeopardize your and your family's health, you must identify the minute difference between them.
How do you identify if a silicone sealant is food-grade?
It’s pretty simple, in order to identify food-grade sealants, check product labels for ‘food grade’ or ‘safe for food contact.’
Usually, you’d find it on the sides or the neck of the packaging. Also, ensure that your chosen indoor silicone sealant complies with food safety regulations like FDA guidelines.
Note- In environments with potential food contact, always use designated food-grade silicone sealants to maintain food safety and consumer confidence. Don't compromise on quality and safety when it comes to food applications.
What makes food-grade silicone sealant food-grade?
- Non-Toxic Composition: Food-grade silicone sealants are made from high-quality silicone materials that are non-toxic and safe for use in contact with food.
Compliance with Food Safety Regulations: Food-grade silicone sealants must comply with relevant food safety regulations set by authorities such as FDA or other food safety agencies in the country.
- Absence of Harmful Chemicals: Food-grade silicone sealants are free from chemicals like lead, PVC, phthalates, and other hazardous compounds that are not approved for use in food contact applications.
- Neutral Odor and Flavorless: Food-grade silicone sealants do not emit any odours or impart any taste or flavour to food products, ensuring that the original taste and quality of the food are preserved.
- High-Temperature Resistance: Food-grade silicone sealants have excellent temperature resistance, capable of withstanding both high and low temperatures commonly encountered in food processing and storage.
- Inert and Non-Reactive: These indoor silicone sealants are inert and do not react with food or beverages, ensuring that they do not alter the composition or quality of the products they come into contact with.
- Non-Porous Surface: The surface of food-grade silicone sealants is non-porous, making them resistant to moisture absorption and preventing the growth of mould or bacteria.
- Easy to Clean and Maintain: Food-grade silicone sealants are easy to clean and maintain, contributing to the maintenance of a clean and hygienic environment.
- Certification and Testing: Reputable manufacturers of food-grade silicone sealants often subject their products to rigorous testing and certification to ensure they meet the necessary food safety standards.
Using the appropriate food-grade silicone sealant helps maintain the integrity and safety of food products, providing peace of mind for consumers and businesses alike.
Some common applications of food-grade silicone sealants include sealing gaps and joints in food processing equipment, sealing seams in commercial kitchen appliances, securing food-grade containers, and providing a sanitary seal in food storage and packaging units.
Food-grade silicone sealants are an essential and safe solution for applications where contact with food or beverages is possible. Their non-toxic composition, compliance with food safety regulations, absence of harmful chemicals, and high-temperature resistance make them ideal for use in food processing, packaging, and kitchen environments. When it comes to sealing your indoor areas like kitchen counters or faucets, never compromise on safety. Embrace the reliability and assurance of food-grade silicone sealants for your culinary adventures.
One name you can trust in this sector is Bondzil. Their range of high-quality sealants caters to all your food-related needs. From sealing gaps in food processing equipment to maintaining a sanitary seal in countertops, Bondzil has your back. So, next time you're in the kitchen or dealing with food-related applications, remember the secret ingredient - food-grade silicone sealants, and make Bondzil your go-to choice for top-notch performance and unrivalled food safety assurance. Your culinary creations deserve nothing less than the best.
For more information, talk to our experts
So, next time you require a silicone sealant for your food-related needs, remember the importance of using food grade sealants and trust Bondzil for top-notch performance and food safety assurance.