A guide to silicone sealants & their types
Adhesives have turned up to be one of the most underrated yet important tools in the industrial world. They are being used at almost every level, be it minimal repairs or fixtures at a large scale. In this group of adhesives, did you know that there exists a water-resistant adhesive called “Silicone Sealants” that has some magnificent properties? They are gel-like substances in a liquid form whose chemical components differ from the usual polymer-based organic adhesives. Due to this, they hold up better durability, and manage stability and elasticity of objects with ease. Be it repairing anything at any extremity of temperatures, it is one of the best options to consider.
While considering opting for a silicone sealant, there is one crucial aspect to be taken well care of. This is “The Curing Process”. The curing process is essential since it helps in letting the sealant dry. This process might end in just about a day. The ideal temperature to do so should be somewhere between 40 to 100° Fahrenheit. The humidity level should be between 5-95%. In some cases, it might also take up more than 24 hours and go on for long. This depends on the thickness level of the silicone sealants.
If we talk about its application, it can be processed and applied effortlessly. Mostly, they can be applied and used in many settings, but their application varies from industry to industry. For eg: Marine, General Construction, Engine Gastling, Automotive, Industrial maintenance applications etc. No matter where they are applied, they’ll be resistant to chemicals, weather and moisture, making them perfectly suitable for both indoors and outdoors. To further elaborate the distinctiveness, here are the types of silicone sealants that are commonly used. We at Bondzil, also provide the following:
Weather Silicone Sealant:
- It is a one-part neutral-care architectural and engineering grade sealant. One of the rewarding properties of weather silicone sealant is that it extrudes in any weather conditions and cures at ambient temperature. This happens as it reacts with moisture in the air to form a durable and flexible silicone rubber seal.
- It can have multiple usages e.g.: Aluminium/ Glass and standard glazing, curtain wall joining, anodized aluminium, concrete enamelled and reflective glass, wood glass-glazed surfaces, masonry, fluorocarbon coated aluminium, heat-strengthened glass etc.
General Purpose Silicone Sealant:
- It is a cost-effective single component acetic sealant that vulcanizes on exposure to moisture in the air at room temperature to form a flexible seal. General Purpose Silicone Sealant is easy to apply and offers excellent adhesion to glazed ceramic tiles, glass, aluminium etc. Moreover, it has excellent resistance to ozone, UV Radiation and extreme temperatures.
- Its core usage can be for plumbing, sanitary application, metal to metal joints, ductwork sealing, aluminium-glass and standard glazing.
Neutral Silicone Sealant:
- It is a single component neutral cure silicone sealant with non-staining properties. Especially, it helps in making a great deal for granite and marble applications. It is suitable for both indoor and outdoor applications due to its resistance to Ozone, UV and other temperature extremities.
- You can opt for Neutral Silicone Sealant for purposes such as non-structural glazing, panel stiffener applications, demanding sanitary applications such as joining bathtubs, washbasins etc., sealing and mounting windows, door frames, sealing applications of marble/stone, concrete, brick, plastic etc.
Acryfill Silicone Sealant:
- This single-component gun grade sealant is formulated by using acrylic emulsions and specialised chemicals to give any product a thin and smooth fill that can further be easily painted. Acryfill Silicone Sealant can be used for sealing low movement joints that are specialised for uPVC and Aluminium and window applications.
- It can also be used for window and door frames, sealing of duct holes, joints between ceilings and windows, joints in blockwork where only low movement is expected, etc.
Hybrid Silicone Sealant:
- This silicone sealant is crystal clear, neutral, elastic and a single component sealant that is based on SMP Technology. Hybrid Silicone Sealant can be used for interior or exterior bonding and sealing applications and transparent/ elastic bonding in different constructions and building applications.
- It can be used in interior bonding of glass and other transparent materials, bonding in the metal and building industry, strong elastic bonding of panels, profiles and other pieces on the most common substrates.
Silicone Sealants work in the best way to seal and fix almost any surface. At Bondzil, we help you deal with all your concerns regarding fixings and sealings. You can check from our wide variety of products available and see what works out the best for your purpose. We provide a cost-effective, authentic and durable product range for you. If you have any queries, you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or ring us at 1800 212 6274 (India) or +91 8100041000 (International). Happy Fixing!